Marton Methodist Church

Church History

Marton Methodist Church is the oldest Methodist Church in Middlesbrough.

The first services were actually held in the village inn, the old Rudd’s Arms kept by Mr. W. Atkinson. William and an old woman known locally as “old Mary”, were the first two Methodists in the village.

The first chapel was built in 1842 with seating for a congregation of 50 people.

In 1888, earth was removed from the sides & back of the building to improve the access but this caused the walls to give way! The church had to be re-built!

The Second Chapel

The foundation stone of the second chapel was laid by Sir Raylton Dixon of Gunnergate Hall on 11th June 1890.

As part of the celebrations, it was decided that a tea should be held - either in the Day School (now Tiny Turners Nursery), or if not available, in the Granery near Gunnergate, the Blacksmiths shop, or in a tent in the ground at the back of the Chapel. From then on, for many years, Marton held Tea afternoons.

While the chapel was being built services were held in the waiting room of Ormesby (now Marton) Railway Station.

The second chapel was opened in August 1890. It measured about 22 ft. square with seating for 60 people but still no vestry or toilets!.

In 1912 the leasehold of the land on which the chapel stood and additional land to the back and west side was purchased from the Bolckow Trustees. The old building was pulled down. A new chapel to seat 140 and a school room for 60 was built a little further back from the road. It was opened on 24th September 1913.

In 1962 the rear extension, providing a meeting room, kitchen and toilets, was built.

Church Expansions

On March 21st 1970 the present church was opened. In plan view it is roughly the shape of the old Methodist ‘shell’ badge. It can seat 190 people, has 2 vestries, toilets and full central heating. The old 1913 church and vestry were turned into the present hall and a classroom - currently used by the Middlesbrough Live at Home scheme.

In 1992, a new Public Address system was installed in the church, complete with loop for those using hearing aids. It was installed in memory of Harold Hill, Edward Perks, Albert Stearman & Richard Wild – listed in alphabetical order of surname – but see what their Christian name initials spell!

In 2006, the toilets at the rear of the premises were modified to create facilities for the disabled.